Thursday, November 1, 2012

To Save a Dragon Part 3



Continued from Part 2


            Through Dirk's very good directions I found the dragon easily. He was in a large cage along the road to the castle; indeed, not far from it. He was several feet higher than Agren, and the dark blue of midnight on a moonless night, with his underside the color of a hazy midafternoon summer sky. There was only one guard, who sat dozing on the ground a short distance away. The dragon ignored me as I stood and watched him for a moment. Then I stepped up to the cage and spoke.
            "Greetings, great one. What are you called?"
            His massive head swung around to face me and he regarded me closely. "I can feel that you can be trusted. My name is Sirocco."
            His voice was wonderful. It was like the wind sighing through the grasses in a meadow on a day when the sun is obscured by clouds.  
            I dipped my chin toward my chest, then moved my head outward and up--the traditional dragon greeting. "Well met, Sirocco. My name is Gwynnethe. I have come to help you."
            He regarded me with surprise. "Well met indeed, Gwynnethe Dragon~Friend. What is your plan to help me?"
            "Sirocco, I need you to tell me everything. When I've heard your story, I will go to the queen and try to make her understand."
            "But in order to do that, you would be risking your life for me. Why would you do such a thing?"
            "I would do this not only to save your life, but the life of one who is dear to me. I believe you had a good reason to kill Wallace, and if I can convince the queen of this, perhaps I can also convince her to take back the law which will claim the life of my dragon."
            Sirocco sighed and gazed off into the distance. "Very well, I will tell you. Wallace was involved in a plot to kill the king and queen. Several months ago, I overheard him and a few other men discussing their plans. The very day I killed him, he was on the way to put the plan into action. By the end of the day both king and queen would have been dead by poisoning. And who would have been next in line for the throne? Wallace!"
            I stared, horrified. "Wait a moment! You said that there were a few men involved in this. Are the king and queen really safe?"
            His head swung to face me and he looked me in the eye. "I frightened them by killing Wallace. They knew that if the queen listened to me, they were as good as dead. She was in shock, so it was easy for them to convince her that I had been holding a grudge against Wallace for a long time and had lost control of myself. I doubt that now they would even think of murdering those who have just promoted them. So you see, Gwynnethe, you are getting yourself involved in some very large problems. I will not blame you if you do not wish to go through with your plan."
            I straightened my shoulders and stood tall. "I would not think of backing out. I will go on with it, and if I fail, at least I know that I tried. And if something happens to me..." For a moment I faltered. "...if something happens to me, then too, I will know that I tried to save those I love."
            We talked for a while longer and I told him all about Agren; then, since it was starting to get late, I headed home.

---

            The next morning I dumped out the haversack that Mother had packed for me. I hoped that there was a change of clothes, for I could not appear before the queen in my travel-stained garments. Within that haversack was more than I could even have hoped for. Mother had not only provided me with a clean shirt and pants, but also a skirt, comb, and hair ribbon. I washed as best I could at the basin in my room, then slipped into my clothes and started on the task of putting my hair in order. In a little while I was on the road to the castle.
            The castle was built upon a low hill, which raised it above the other buildings and gave its residents a clear view of the surrounding country. Two guards stood one on either side of the massive gates. When I reached them, the guard on the left stepped forward.
            "What is your business here?" he asked stiffly.
            "I would like an audience with the queen," I stated firmly, despite the nervousness which fluttered in my chest.
            "Follow me."
            He opened one of the gates and waited for me to go in before he himself stepped inside and shut the gate. We were in an enormous courtyard. We crossed it quickly and were admitted into the castle building itself by another guard who opened one of two gigantic doors. We now stood inside a  long, high ceilinged entrance hall. Off to the left a set of wide stone stairs curved upward through the ceiling. A guard stood at the bottom, and it was with him that the gate guard left me before hurrying up the stairs. In a moment he returned.
            "The queen has granted you an audience. Follow me."
            Elation rose within me, suffocating the nervousness. Perhaps this would not be so difficult after all! I had figured that one of the most difficult elements in my plan would be getting the chance to speak with the queen; and I was going to see her the first time I tried. I quickly tamped down my overconfidence. It was one thing to gain an audience with a queen, it was another entirely to convince a royal personage that she was wrong.
            I was shown up the stairs, down a long hall, and through an immense door. As I stepped inside I found myself standing in a large hexagonal room. The walls were bookcases which stretched from the carpeted floor to the domed ceiling and were filled with books, scrolls, and maps and dotted here and there with statues. The wall across from the door was a window made up of two long panes which were swung outward to let in the breeze. The windows led out onto a balcony, from which the observer could watch the ever changing sea. In the middle of the room stood a desk, and behind the desk stood a woman.
            It took me a moment to realize that this was the queen, for she did not look like one. She wore a plain green dress with dark green sleeves. Her light brown hair was pulled back from her face and wound into a large flat bun on the back of her head. She wore a circlet of green and dark green ribbons on her head, the ends of which hung down her back. Her brown eyes were neither friendly nor cold. The only signs of her station were a large gold signet ring and a gold belt studded with many large perfect opals. She had a distinguished quality about her.
            I gave a deep curtsy. She nodded her head in acknowledgement, and sinking gracefully down into her chair, motioned me to sit in the one on this side of the desk. As soon as I sat down, she spoke.
            "Tell me why you have come to see me," she ordered. Her voice held the same quality as the one which seemed to emanate from her.
            I drew in a deep breath, choosing my words carefully. "Your Majesty, I have come here on behalf of someone. I have spoken to Sirocco, and he has told me his whole story. Forgive me if I seem forward, but I would like to tell it to you, Your Majesty, if I may."
            I saw her go rigid. She hesitated for a moment, then nodded, as though she could not speak.
            I told her the story from beginning to end. Several times I thought I saw a look of astonishment cross her face before she could regain her control. When I had finished, she rose from her chair and paced agitatedly to the window.
            "If you will talk to Sirocco, you will find that what I have said is true," I insisted.
             I studied her back closely for any sign of her reaction, and observed that her dress had a short train. When at last she spoke, her voice was strained, and she did not turn to face me.
            "You may go."
            I rose to my feet and made my way to the door, then followed the soldier out of the castle. I made my way toward Sirocco's cage; he deserved to know what had happened.
            "Perhaps something you said will change her mind," he said after he had heard my story.
            "But we're running out of time! The execution is in two days."
            "I know. Listen to me, Gwynnethe. If the queen decides to go through with the execution, take Agren and go home. You said that you live by the mountains. It is on this side of those mountains that the kingdom ends. If Agren lives up in the mountains, she should be safe, and close to you."
            I reached out and laid my hand on his nose.

---

   The next day passed slowly. I tried to distract myself by wandering the city and pretending that I was a grand lady with all the money in the world. I went into almost every shop. The only thing I actually bought was a small vegetable pie to eat for lunch. As the afternoon began to fade into evening, I went to see Sirocco.
            He sat in his cage, and when he lifted his head to look at me, I saw that all the hope had gone from his eyes.
            "I don't think she is going to change her mind, Gwynnethe."
   I hung my head. "I'm so sorry. I should've done more. Surely there was something else I could have done. I didn't try hard enough..."
            "Gwynn!" he interrupted me. "You did all you could, and I am grateful. I ask only one thing: keep Agren safe."
            "I promise you, I will do everything I can to keep her safe."
            "Thank you. It does me good to know that at least one of our race will live on. And now, Gwynnethe Dragon~Friend, I believe it is time to say farewell. I thank you for all that you have done for me, but most of all for your friendship. It has eased these difficult days. Farewell, my young friend." So saying, he bowed to me, the highest honor a dragon can bestow.
            I returned the bow, tears in my eyes. "Farewell, Sirocco. I shall never forget you. I shall make sure that you live on in legend so that everyone may hear of the great Sirocco."
            I saw a small smile hover about his lips. "If you are going to be writing a story, Gwynn, be sure to write yourself into it. The story would not be complete without an account of your courage."
            I returned the smile. "I'll do that."


...to be continued

Read the previous parts here:

To Save a Dragon is an original short story by me, Rebecca Kletzing. I hope you enjoy reading it. Please do not copy or use any part of this story without my permission.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment